This will definitely become a favorite in your household!! I always get great reviews!
It takes 3 hours to complete but it’s well worth it!
- 1 16 oz. bag dry navy beans
- 1 8 oz. bag dry lima beans
- 1 8 oz. bag red kidney beans
- 12 cups water plus 6 Tbs.
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 2 medium green bell peppers, sliced 1″ thick
- 2 medium white onions, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbs. brown sugar
- 3 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground clove
- 1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes
- 1 12 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 1 1/2 lb. Kielbasa sausage, sliced in chunks
Some 3 1/2 hours before serving:
Rinse beans under cold water and discard any debris. In a heavy duty 8 quart pot, at high heat, boil beans in 12 cups of water; cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat; cover the pot and let it rest for 1 hour; drain and rinse beans; cool and set aside.
In a pan, at medium-high heat, add the oil and saute green bell peppers, onions, and garlic until soft and translucent. Add this mixture to the pot of beans; add, stirring, the brown sugar, salt, black pepper, clove, and 6 tablespoons water; let it come to a boil. Reduce the heat; Cover and cook at low heat for 1 hour; stirring occasionally.
Add the tomatoes with the liquid, tomato paste, and Kielbasa sausage, stirring to combine and break tomatoes. Cover and cook for another 30 minutes or until beans are soft. Remove any foam that might form on the surface.
Enjoy with crusty bread!